It’s important that people with dementia can visit their GP and get the care and support they need.
GPs are key to providing a diagnosis, information, support, planning and ongoing management and review for people with dementia and their carers.
Alzheimer’s Society is supporting GPs across Essex to work to become a dementia friendly practice. Those already registered onto the scheme, have pledged to support people affected by dementia with:
- Increasing dementia awareness and understanding for all practice staff
- Making appointments and using the GP telephone systems and website
- Navigating the physical environment of the practice with dementia friendly signage and clear, uncluttered surgeries
- Having systems in place to help to remember to attend appointments
- Understanding the individual needs of people affected by dementia, to enable them to express their concerns with the GP
- Working with patients and their carers to recall details of discussions regarding their care